Create the perfect recipe: French Bouillabaisse.
Experience the French Riviera from your own home with this fool-proof recipe from Slow Burning Passion. This tasty fish stew contains beautifully fresh fish, fennel, leeks, and finished with a delicate sauce base. The humble, yet delicious dish can be found along the Mediterranean coastlines using locally caught fish. If you’re not lucky enough to live close to the sea, visit your local fish monger and they can advise.
230g Clams1.5l Water
1 Bay Leaf
12 Whole Black Peppercorns
Peel from 1 Orange
3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
½ Teaspoon Salt
2 Small Fennel Bulbs, thinly sliced, fronds reserved
1 Small Onion, diced
1 Leek, white part only, thinly sliced
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
4 Tomatoes, skins and seeds removed and diced
235ml Dry White Wine
1 Teaspoon Fresh Thyme
1 Teaspoon Fresh Marjoram
½ Teaspoon Saffron Threads
½ Teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper
230g Salmon, skin removed, cut into 1 inch wide strips
- Peel the shrimp, reserving the shrimp shells. Bring the water to a simmer and add the shrimp shells, bay leaf, peppercorns, and orange peel to the pot and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a heavy bottomed soup pan. Add the onion, leek, and fennel bulb and a pinch of salt, and slowly sweat them until tender but not browned (about 20 minutes).
- Put in the garlic, saute a few more minutes until garlic is tender and fragrant.
- Add the tomato and the wine. Turn up the heat until the wine begins to boil. Cook until wine is reduced by about half.
5. Strain the shrimp and orange stock into the onion mixture. Add the thyme, marjoram, saffron, and cayenne and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add the fish first. About two minutes later add the mussels and clams. About two minutes later add the shrimp. Simmer until the shrimp is just cooked through.
7. About two more minutes.Remove from heat and serve immediately, garnishing each place with some reserved fennel fronds.
While your bouillabaisse is cooking set your table to impress with our stunning dining collection. Dress the table with beautiful blue linens, eye-catching recycled glass candlesticks, unique white willow hurricanes, and seasonal faux florals.
Entertain this season with our Riviera Dining Collection.